Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Little Backstory

So, Tuesday night was my Tio (uncle) Rogelio's birthday party. So ridiculously fun, filled with awesome food and awesome people I love. I couldn't help but think though, how blessed I am, all throughout the shindig. See, I wasn't part of that side of the family for a very long time and not by choice. My father decided to abandon me when I was 8 years old (after a very traumatic childhood up to that point). When he took himself out of the picture, he took his whole family away too. They didn't know how to get ahold of me, and I didn't know how to get ahold of them either. So for 13 plus years, I missed out on so much.
When Nathan and I moved to Tennessee for school, I contacted my father. That was in August. He was back out of my life by February, and again, so was my family. Thanks to Mark Zuckerburg and Facebook, I found my cousin about a year ago, and here we are! And no, I haven't seen or heard from my father at all... And apparently, my family is being 'banished' to radio blackout too.
Anyway, so it was so cool to see the many many relatives that I haven't seen since I was really little... And they were all playing with my kids! And hanging out with my hubby! Who is very very white, I might add. A total whiteypants in a room full of brown Mexicans, and Nate was just as Messican as they were! So cool. I should also add that my kiddies really showed their inner Mexican when selecting cards for my uncle. Rhea saw a card with two chihuahuas in party hats, drinking water out of a martini glass and went cray cray! Little did I know but that the card also sang "La Bamba!" She was attached to that for Tio. And Trace was screaming like I was nun-whipping his knuckles all throughout the store until he found a hot pink singing card. I'm talking HOT PINK. So he's freaking out because he wants the card, so I give it to him, at which point I'm delighted to hear it sings "Macarena." Hilarity ensued when neither child would close their cards throughout the entire store! Needless to say, my uncle got a kick out of them!
Ah crap... I just hit the proverbial wall, which means that my brain has ceased to make coherent thoughts. I wonder if it has something to do with the glass of wine that's sitting next to me, coupled with having been sick for the past almost 3 weeks...
On that note-
Klinger out!

No comments:

Post a Comment