Saturday, March 19, 2011

Hell Week and Wizards

Okay, the wizards part is just ridiculous.  I happen to be watching Wizards of Waverly Place because that's what Rhea fell asleep watching and I can't find the remote.  Why not add it into the title of the blog, right?  Speaking of Wizards though, how cute are Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez?  Yeah yeah, I know.  I'm an old fogie to be a fan of The Bieb, let alone following what's up in the most famous 17 year-old in the world's love life, but since I have Princess Justin Bieber living with me, it's kind of hard not to.  My thoughts on JB are that 1.) he's adorable 2.) if I was a 16 year old girl, I'd be daydreaming for days about Senor Bieb showing up in my casa and serenading me 3.) he's really a very talented musician.  I know, I know.  Boo hiss to me for revealing my inner teeny bopper, but dude, the kid knows how to rock it.
Moving on...
So last week was midterm mania.  I had a midterm paper due on Tuesday, and what I fully anticipated to be the worst test of my LIFE on Thursday morning.  The class: Women in Biblical Literature.  The subject matter: I have no idea.  I thought when I was signing up for the class that we were really studying the role of women in biblical literature.  (Imagine that.)  However, my prof is also apparently a Hebrew scholar, and frequently likes to reference "the original Hebrew text."  Since the majority of us have either an English Standard Version study Bible or a New International study Bible, or some other variation, NONE of which have ORIGINAL HEBREW FOOTNOTES, it's turned into something completely different than what I thought it was going to be.  Not only do we get original Hebrew translations, but we've also covered the Egyptian deities' family tree and mythology, as well as a plethora of other ridiculous unrelated things.  Said professor really got her sass on when a guy in my class asked a question about predestination.  While that completely related to the passage of Scripture that we were referring to and discussing, the 45 minute digression absolutely did not.  And the *snap snap snap* attitude dished by the professor made me feel so bad for the poor guy.  We somehow managed to end up at a certain species of birds' innate knowledge that migrating is necessary for survival of the species somehow being attempted to be correlated to predestination. *whew*  So, needless to say, when I got the almost-full page, single spaced study guide, I had no idea what to make of it.  But I did a little happy dance when I got done because it wasn't as difficult as I was anticipating.  Actually, I'm pretty confident that I got no less than an A.  *woop woop*
I had a nice chillax day planned for Friday when I got a frantic text from my mom at 7:45 am saying she thought she had to go to the ER.  So, the kids and I ended up going and taking care of my mama (who has something called labrynthitis- a viral infection that's affecting her inner ear and is causing acute vertigo).  She's fine, no ER required, but that woman is the WORST bedridden patient EVER in the history of mankind... including Nate when he gets a mancold!  All day long, my phone blew up with calls from her about "How Dad must have taken the van on purpose because even though she was so dizzy she was about to throw up, she wanted to go look at some recliners for him for his birthday."  There are so many things wrong with that statement, I wanted to *smack* her every time she said it.  So, Mom, you've been awarded the *smack* of the day!  *applause* *SMACK*
Anywho...
I've been battling bronchitis for the past 2 weeks, and it's making like Roberta Flack/Lauryn Hill and killing me softly.  Or not so softly, if you ask Nate.  I've been hacking up a lung like a veteran two-pack-a-dayer, and I h-a-t-e it.  Plus, it's a double pain in my arse since I'm asthmatic and it's turn of the season.  Balls.  My doctor, as much as I heart her, is making me shake.  Instead of hitting it hard with a Z-Pack right off the bat, we've been nancying around with steroids and now tylenol with codeine.  For realsies?!  I know what my body responds to, but instead of listening to me, I'm pretty confident in saying now that I also have a raging sinus infection on top of the other shenanigans.  Boo. Hiss.  Boo hiss.  Sigh.  Now I wait until Monday so I can call her and say "Woman! Have mercy!" (I'm not above begging.)
On another note, I was talking with my mil (for those of you who don't speak message boardlish, that's short for "mother-in-law") last week about how she takes a weekly yoga class.  Since I can't do anything like my previously high-intensity, cardio martial arts/running/lifting regimen, I started thinking that maybe I could start looking at yoga/pilates (again on the pilates side of things).  I used to use pilates as my filler on days that I couldn't get to the gym, and I always ached for days!  It's amazing that even when you think you're in really great shape, you throw a new something into the mix and bam, you realize that you have whole sets of muscles that you don't ever hit.  Long(er) story short(er), I am officially addicted to yoga and pilates.  My body feels so much happier since I'm working it out and focusing on not just getting my heart rate up, but also what my muscles are doing in the process.  It's pretty awesome.  *happydance*
We took the kids to Rainforest Cafe tonight for dinner... we never go out as a family for sit-down dinners, and as much fun as it was, I was definitely stoked to get home.  Trace was melting down left and right, Rhea was borderline massive tantrum, and we were getting the evil eye from the family at the tables next to us, all because Nate and I ordered cocktails.  We're not big drinkers at all- well, Nate's a couple beers a week guy- but I usually don't drink that often.  Every time I caught them kind of looking at us, I wanted to ask how their dinner was.  ;o) Buuut, it made for an awkward elevator ride to the 2nd floor of the mall (we were trying to get the kids to burn off the rest of their energy) when we walked up to the elevator- which was huge- and they were right in front of us.  (Wow- that was a really long sentence!)  Luckily, we didn't see them after that, but yeah... super awkward thirty second ride.
So as I'm blogging, I'm watching "Say Yes to the Dress" and the Oprah Winfrey Network (*gag*) keeps running commercials for Vagisil.  Why?  And what is up with the friggin women in those commercials?!  They either look ridiculously happy or like they're about to lose their minds.  Does every woman run that gamut when their hooha isn't in a happy place?  Ecstatically happy then in need of a straightjacket and rubber room?  I bet men make those storyboards...
And Oprah.  Cannot STAND this woman.  Many many reasons why, but first and foremost, her conceitedness.  Between her and Tyra, I want to reach through the tv anytime they're on it and fling Jello at them.  Rant over. :o)
Can I just say that "Say Yes to the Dress" is one of my favorite shows?  I remember how it felt to go looking for the first time for wedding dresses (5 weeks after I had Rhea!), and not only how much fun it was, but also that feeling when I put on "the" dress.  My mom made me try on a sleeved dress that looked straight out of Medieval Times (just for shiz and giggles) and I still remember the sheer hideousness of that dress!  We laughed sooo hard because it was white white (which completely washes me out), so I looked like the corpse bride, it weighed about 5,000 pounds, had wacky sleeves, and quite possibly the ugliest train I've ever seen.  Then I put on my dress, and I swear I heard the "Hallelujah" chorus.  I stepped up on the pedestal, under the lights, and heard "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!"  I loved that it made me look like a pinup girl, only 5 weeks post-baby, so I could only imagine what I'd look like when all the weight was off and I was back to being tightened up.  I still have it in the closet and every now and then I think about putting it on and lounging around the house.  I love that dress and if I could live in it, I would!  So it's so fun to watch other women go through the fun shenanigans that wedding shopping entails.  Hopefully we'll be able to take a honeymoon before we renew our vows!
Oh weddings... so much fun...
Anyway, on that note, I'm out for the night!  Thanks for reading this long, ambling entry.  I promise I'll keep up on it so I won't have to cram five days' worth of thoughts into one entry! *yawn* Be healthy, be well, be happy.
Nighty night!

No comments:

Post a Comment